Friday, August 28, 2009

A Brief Aside

I am going to take a moment to discuss something other than plants. I want to share with you all an experience I had last night and give you a little warning should you ever go through what I did. Because of the problems with my hearing and ear, my doctor ordered me to have a MRI done of my head. The order said that I would be getting an MRI both with and without contrast.
I arrived at my appointment yesterday and all was seemingly well. I laid down and the technician placed a helmet type thing over my head and cushioned me in there with towels so my head wouldn't move during the procedure. I was given a panic button and had ear plugs in. The first part was fine. I mean, there were very loud noises and the MRI capsule was tight, but nothing so bad.
Then I was slid out of the machine and was to get an injection of contrast. This is where the problems began. I remained in the prone position with my head in the helmet. The technician told me that I would feel a little pinch when he put the needle in. I did, and it was fine. However, something went wrong. The contrast was not going into my arm. He started moving the needle and re-tying the band on my bicep. It was very uncomfortable. Burning even. Eventually, I took the needle out and said enough got in. I bent my arm to squeeze it and was slid right back in the MRI machine for another 12 minutes.
That is when the agonizing, stinging and burning pain began in my arm. I was fully crying because of the pain in my arm. The longest 12 minutes ever. I could have pressed the panic button, but I didn't want to start the whole process over. When I was finally slid out of the machine (still crying) the technician asked me if he got a little contrast outside. Was that what that was? A little contrast in the wrong spot in my arm? He went to get me an ice pack and another man came over and explained that it happened to him once and would wear off in 10 minutes or so.
He was right, it did wear off in 10 minutes. At least the burning and agonizing pain wore off. However, my arm is still extremely sore and tender. It hurts to extend my arm and feel like someone beat on me.
If you are having an MRI with contrast and you start to feel a burn where the needle was, ask for an ice pack right away!! Don't be like me because the burning will only get worse once you are slid into the machine, then you can't move. Serious pain.
Now I have to wait 7 days for results. GRRRRR.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Melissa. I am so sorry. This may sound stupid, but I am actually crying right now for you. That f-ing Clomid is making me a crazy person, which partially explains the tears, but I really am sorry. I hope at least the MRI results will be worth the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen. I still wait for results.

    ReplyDelete