Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Summer Squash Is Not My Friend

In April I bought a Patty Pan squash. Al told me that her mother insisted that squashes need friends and will not grow as a single. But I didn't buy a companion. Needless to say, the patty pan squash was a failure. I got two squashes out of it. The rest shriveled and died. So, I bought and planted seeds for another mini summer squash. This time, I planted two seeds and got two plants. Both plants give constant blossoms. Blossoms every morning. Yet, no squash. All the little squash turn yellow, shrivel and die. I believe this is because they flowers did not get pollinated. Well, gosh, I just don't know how to remedy this problem. Any ideas?
PS. There are loads of bees around my house. They seem to shun the squash.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't have the best luck with my yellow squash either. I ended up pulling out this week. I did plant 1 spaghetti squash which is thriving and it looks like my butternut squash (planted from seed, so still has a way to go) may do ok too. I never heard they needed to be planted in pairs, I thought each plant had both male and female flowers?

    ReplyDelete