Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Chive Blossom Infused Vinegar



It has been ages since I blogged.  Still gardening, just not blogging.  You know the story.  But I had to break my silence for this discover.  I saw somewhere (and I am sure I pinned it on pinterest) chive blossom vinegar.  Yes, yes, yes.
I have two chive clusters growing this year.  What happens is that my chives all start flowering, I dead head the flowers when they are dry and just bury them back in the soil.  So, as you can imagine, my chive clusters keep getting bigger.  Sometimes I remember to eat the flowers on salads and once I sprinkled the petals on some risotto (highly recommended and really impresses the guests). I really like eating the flowers, but I just forget about them.  It feels like this season the little purple flowers have been prolific.  Constant flowers.  I was thrilled to find this recipe for infused vinegar.

Vinegar recipe:
Snip Chive Flowers (just the good ones) and cover them with white distilled vinegar.  Let sit for 2-3 weeks.  Strain and filter.  Filtering is just super straining to get a clear vinegar.  Basically use a coffee filter.  Also, you can shake the jars from time to time if you feel the urge.

What I did:
This morning I snipped off approximately 6 chive blossoms.  I rinsed them to get rid of any inhabitants and set them on a towel to dry a bit.  Then I washed a canning jar and the lid.  Ready to go.

Because I was feeling particularly excited, I snipped of a largish onion blossom as well.  I had bought some purple bulbed green onions last spring from none other than Walmart.  They grew very nicely and I enjoyed the constant availability of fresh green onion.  I didn't eat them all and I now find myself with a dozen or so way too overgrown/massive green onion stalks.  Several stalks formed large white flowers.  I'm nothing but curious, so I have just been watching them grow.  I am hoping that they will go to seed and give me some volunteer onions for the fall season.   (I love volunteer plants.  I've got a volunteer lettuce and parsley plant growing right now from former plants that have since gone to seed and been removed).  But in my excitement for chive blossom vinegar, I thought why not have purple green onion blossom vinegar as well.  So I plucked off one of the large cream colored flower heads and dumped it in a second jam jar.

I filled both jars with vinegar.  After only a few hours the chive vinegar is turning pink and smells like onion.  Now to wait.

My plan is to continue to add chive flowers to the vinegar they become ripe, or perhaps start a second jar.  It isn't too early to start infusing stuff for the holidays.  I may try the next batch using white wine vinegar instead of distilled vinegar.  And who knows, I am feeling inspired to toss a few blossoms into my jug of refrigerator pickles.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment