Monday, July 30, 2012

It Finally Happened: My Orchid Re-Bloomed

It has been about 10 years since I have been buying orchids at Trader Joe's and other such places.  I convinced myself that buying them over and over again is like saving money because the flowers last at least a month and would be cheaper than buying cut flowers every week.  (Not that I have ever actually bought cut flowers once a week, but IF I did....).  I have never once succeeded in a re-bloom.  They were basically long lasting cut flowers.  Yes, I poured over my books and other peoples blogs about making it happen.  I watered frequently, I watered infrequently, I trimmed the stem, etc.  None of these things ever actually worked.  Eventually the leaves turned yellow and the plant was tossed.

BUT, now everything has changed!  My mother bought me a lovely yellow orchid for my birthday last November.  It kept flowers on it until mid-December.  A few months later I was visiting a friend and noticed that he had an orchid on the verge of re-bloom.  His answer was simple, keep the orchid in a window and every time you water it (like once a week), give it a quarter turn.  Could it be that easy?  Window, water and quarter turn?

So, I did that very thing.  I set a calendar reminder to water the plant every Thursday.  The way I water is pretty straight forward.  My pot has holes, so I stick the plant under the kitchen sink and soak through with water.  Then I make sure all the water is drained out.  Yes, of course, I did still forget to water it some Thursdays and it still re-bloomed.  As I said, my plant is in a pot with plenty of holes so it gets plenty of air (the perk of taking ceramics classes is being able to make holey pots in just the right size!).  I cut off the flowerless stem about mid way down and just above one of the nodes (or what I think was a node).  I placed it in a west facing window because that was the only practical window in my apartment. I watered and turned for a couple months.  Sometimes, I'd put a few drops of African Violet fertilizer in the water, because that is the fertilizer I already owned.
Then, out of now where it started growing a new stem.  A month and a half later, it started blooming.  There have been blooms on it now for at least two months and it seems to be going strong.

Yellow and pink orchid re-blooming- July 2012
My Four Easy Steps to Re-Blooming An Orchid:
1. Put the orchid in a window.
2. Make sure the plant has plenty of air circulation around root system.
3. Water once a week by soaking the roots and letting excess water drain out (i.e. no standing water in the roots).
4. Turn the plant a quarter turn with every water. 

I hope these steps work for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment