Tuesday, June 18, 2013

(Really) Small Batch Pickles


Pickling Cucumbers to Pickles

Every year I attempt to grow something new.  This year I bought Pickling Cucumbers and planted the seeds into my newly created long and skinny planter made from redwood.  The trellis is some kind of string that my neighbor contributed to the project.  I've been training the cucumbers up the trellis with strategic use of twist ties and unused orchid clips.  The plant is newly giving fruit and the bees are a'buzzing around all the blossoms.   
I picked the first two short and fatty cukes and two much smaller ones to encourage the two plants to fruit more.  With only 4 cukes, I figured why not just do a small jar of refrigerator pickles?  First I submerged the pickles in icy water for a couple hours (as the Internet recommends) and then I used the back of a knife to scrape of all the prickly spines (seriously, the cukes are borderline cacti-- Who knew?).  Then the pickles were ready!
I followed this recipe from Food in Jars and cut it in half, because my batch was even smaller.  I didn't include the onions, from sheer laziness, but next time I'd like to try the onions.  I filled the jar with the hot vinegar mixture, tightened the lid, and flipped it upside down for 15 minutes.  Then I let it cool and plopped it in the fridge.  I used dried dill and I kicking myself for failing to go fresh dill.  I otherwise don't prefer dill, but in a pickle I sing a whole different song.  I'll have to go to the farmers market to find some good looking dill.
The jar ended up sealing, but since I didn't properly prepare the jar, and I'm certain I used an already used sealing ring, these pickles are staying in the fridge. 
The pickles lost their bright green skin by the morning, but that is normal.  I'm going to let them sit for at least another day before digging in!

No comments:

Post a Comment