Thursday, May 21, 2009

Black Rose

This succulent is called a Black Rose (also called Aeonium Arboreum Zwartkop).  I see this is many front yards and borders in my neighborhood.  It is a very hardy plant and requires minimum attention.  It grows quite tall  with large rosettes that vary from greenish to a deep dark purple atop long stalks.  Reminds me of something out of a Dr. Seuss book. 

Because of its height, it is prone to tipping over.  When I first got the Black Rose (a story that really should not be told on the Internet, sad indeed), it was recovering from a pretty brutal fall: Al had kept it perched on a high ledge on her patio where it toppled over and cracked in half. With its tall skinny stalks and large head, it tends to be delicate in high winds.  Though, this plight can be avoided as long as the plant is housed in a sturdy and heavy pot.  Since I replanted the Black Rose in a terracotta planter it has not toppled.  
Those of you who are detail-oriented may have noticed that my plant is staked.  I was very concerned that it was so top heavy.  It began ripping itself out of the soil. So I staked it.  I supposed I probably should have pruned it, but I have trouble cutting of any of this gorgeous plant.

You Can Have One Too

I have read that propagating this plant is rather simple: you just snip off a rosette and stick it in cactus soil.  According to my research, the time to propagate is early summer, so I should buy some cactus mix and snip away.  I will keep you all updated on my progress.  I read that its dormant period is Summer and Fall, so I guess you are supposed to propagate before the dormant period.

It Blooms?
Supposedly, this plant has yellow flowers.  I have had the plant for about two years now and have not seen a single flower.   I am unconvinced.  One website reports that once a flower forms in the summer, the branch will shrivel up and die! I would mind this, but I really don't have that many stalks to afford to lose one to shrivel.  I cross my fingers that this plant does not flower for a very long time!

Here are some links for those of you that want to learn more:

No comments:

Post a Comment