Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Loofah, luffa, loofa!


Did you know that the bath sponge, commonly known as a loofah or luffa, is a squash?  Well, it is.  I was in the dark about this fact when, one afternoon, while KD and I were browsing the seeds at Target, KD discovered luffa seeds.   Naturally, I had to buy the seeds and attempt to grow my own cleansing product.  Seriously, how good will life be when I can exfoliate with a gourd I grew on my patio?
This all happened about a month and a half ago.  I planted about five seeds (they resemble pumpkin seeds) in a medium small pot.  One seed sprouted out of the ground and really made a statement.  Two big leaves seemed to arrive overnight.  
The seed packet says the following: "Astonishingly tasty when picked young (2"), soft and light green.  Exquisite nut-like flavor steamed or sauteed.  Or harvest dry for terrific bath sponges"   I thought, great, I can grow this in a container.  No problem.  We'll see about that.
Well, I have not had much experience growing squash--it didn't occur to me that this plant would become enormous.  So, I was very surprised last night when I researched the luffa plant online and learned that this plant is going to become a freakin monster! Apparently, the darn plant can have vines that are 20' long and gourds that are longer than a foot long!  I also learned that it crawls up walls and will actually grow up your gutter and around your house!  Crap!  Perhaps I should name the plant Audrey.

Aside from that, people are extolling the virtues of growing the sponges.  Folks on the net are saying how they use the sponge as a dish scrubber and a bath mat.  Pretty cool.  
I am a bit concerned, though, that I couldn't find a site that discussed the possibility of growing luffa in a container.  So, I clearly will need to transplant this guy into a bigger pot (story of my life).  Then I suppose I will "train" it to vine around my decrepit back patio fencing.  I am scared. 
If you are interested in learning more about this plant, check out the following sites:

No comments:

Post a Comment