Friday, May 29, 2009

Cilantro/Coriander


Cilantro and coriander are the same thing, sort of. Here in North America, when you cook with coriander, you are using the seeds from the cilantro plant. Other cultures call the leaves coriander, as well as the seeds. 
About two months ago, I planted some cilantro seeds directly in the soil outside on my back patio.  The seeds are mustard color and the size of that colored ball on the end of a push pin. Two of the seeds sprouted and are now tiny little plants.   They have taken, what seems to be, a long time to grow.  They are about 3 inches tall and pretty bushy.  Despite planting about 5 seeds, only two sprouted. 
I have done a bit a research and learned that cilantro likes a cool sunny environment.  If the soil reaches over 75 degrees the plant will "bolt," meaning send up a flower and die.  It is short-lived, the best plants only live 8-10 weeks.  As a result, it is suggested that you plant new seeds every 3-6 weeks.  (I guess I need to push a few more seeds into that pot.)  I am a bit unnerved about this since San Diego summer whether is often warmer than 75 degrees.  Perhaps I am engaged in a losing battle.  I need to mulch it and place it under another tree so that it gets more filtered light.

Fun Facts About Cilantro:
  • Coriander seeds can be briefly roasted on a dry pan to enhance flavor. Has any one ever done this?
  • Coriander roots are also edible (the whole darn plant is edible) and are stronger than the leaves. They are apparently used in many Thai dishes.
  • There is a website called www.ihatecilantro.com dedicated to people who dislike cilantro.  Really people, aren't there better ways to spend your time.  
  • Coriander is referenced in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament in Exodus.
  • Cilantro is one of the few herbs used in Chinese cooking (also called Chinese Parsley)
  • My favorite Cheeseboard Pizza is the Corn Cilantro pizza- YUM!

1 comment:

  1. This makes sense to me- yesterday I went out to the garden to get some cilantro and noted to myself how great and healthy it looked in contrast to the parsley. Perhaps it's because of my cool Seattle weather and the fact that it only gets morning sun, although we were at 78 degrees today so we'll see how the summer goes!

    ReplyDelete