Monday, June 1, 2009

Marigolds- My first attempt to grow flowers from seed!

*NEWSFLASH* I clearly posted this entry too soon! The seeds I planted last Thursday have indeed sprouted today, June 2; I shouldn't have doubted.  Only a 5 day germination period. I guess those bizarre rainy days were great for them.  

I bought some cheap seeds (20 cents) by American Seed. The package merely says Marigold, Crackerjack Mixed Colors. There is no reference to what type of marigold or the official name. The seeds look like mini sticks that are black and yellow colored. I bought them because I read somewhere that they are excellent companion plants because their pungent smell repels insects. So, I filled three pots with soil and these seeds. I am not convinced the seeds will sprout-- I mean, 20 cents is pretty cheap.

After some research, I have determined that the seeds I planted are the Common Marigold (Tagetes). Marigold is a member of the daisy family. Wikipedia says that the name marigold describes the calendula flower in some other areas. Apparently, the leave juice of this flower is used in wart removal. Anyone try this?

But Can You Eat Them?

Some marigolds are edible--very exciting. However, since my cheap ass seeds fail to tell me what freaking kind of marigold it is, I have no method of determining whether the ones I planted are edible! Time will tell (if they even sprout).

Dying For Marigolds

The lovely deep yellow color of the marigold flowers are used to make dye. One website said that farmers even feed chickens marigold petals so that the chicken skin is yellow. Wierd, I don't eat meat, but I am not certain if I did that I would want yellow chicken skin.

PS. Totally unrelated to gardening, as I write this post I am watching some random SciFi Channel show where Baltar (you know, from BSG) is playing Merlin (yes, the wizard) with the worst "voice" ever. It sounds like he is trying to sound like a mix of James Earl Jones, a dying person, a person with a speech disorder, and Darth Vader. It is AWFUL. so sad.

3 comments:

  1. These are some of the most popular annual flowers on earth. The marigold group called "Crackerjack Mix" has decorated millions of gardens for decades. These are the big ones--bright ball-shaped flowers in yellow and orange or sturdy plants 2-3 ft. tall. The flowers are chrysanthemum-like with a mass of bright colored petals. And best of all, they keep blooming all summer long. Add these to your meadow, and the color will never stop.

    Botanical Name: Tagetes erecta

    Common Name: Marigold, African

    Type: Annual. Lives just one year. Grows quickly, blooms heavily, dies with first frost. Can regrow following spring if seed falls on bare ground.

    Color: Large, double flowers in shades of yellow and orange.

    Height: 24-36" tall

    Bloom Time: Days to germinate: 7-10 depending on soil and weather condtions. Days to maturity: 80-90 (summer until frost)

    Flower: Flowers can reach up to 5" across.

    Sun/Shade: Full sun to partial shade

    Soil Preferences: Adaptable.

    Moisture Requirments: Average moisture, well drained.

    Where To Grow It: All regions of North America

    Variety: Crackerjack Mix

    Zones: 3-10
    Sorce:
    http://www.americanmeadows.com/WildflowerSeeds/Species/Marigold.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. There you go! The African Marigold. Now I have a load more research to do! Wonder if it is edible! Stay tuned. Thanks for figuring this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has gotten completely out of control. More so than I ever imagined even a week ago. As shocking as it is, quite informative at the same time!

    ReplyDelete