Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Artichokes

There is a local community garden here in PB. I love it. I go there at least once a week to check everything out. The waiting list is about 2 years, so I look on with supreme jealousy. I am certain that all the plants grow twice as fast as mine do in containers.

Anyway, I love artichokes—easily my favorite veggie. Several community garden plots include artichokes. The plants are just huge and the artichokes look delicious! So, when I was strolling through Anderson’s (mid March) and saw a small artichoke plant I thought I’d give it a try. I planted it in a fairly medium sized pot and set it in the front. Over time, the plant has grown, but there is no indication that it intends on producing an artichoke. I should probably mention that the plant can be 6 feet tall! I, almost certainly, need to re-pot it to a much bigger container. But, I think I have some time.

AC first introduced me to artichokes when we lived together in Berkeley. She and JE bought a few, steamed them up, and proceeded to show me how to scrape the flesh away from the inedible leaves. She also dunked hers into mayonnaise and melted butter. Since dunking things into mayonnaise and butter are not things that I enjoy, I found myself uninterested in the artichoke. Actually, a bit grossed out. It is not pleasant to watch people eat artichokes (especially when they are dipped in mayonnaise). But several years later, when I was living in LA, I found myself stuck with an artichoke that I paid for (came in my Organic Express delivery), so I figured I would give it a second shot. This time, I steamed it, loaded it with salt and pepper and drizzled with olive oil. Loved it. Thus began my artichoke love. Now, when I get them, I steam them up with some potatoes and consider it a perfect meal.

All About Artichokes

The artichoke is actually an undeveloped flower. If you were to leave the artichoke on the plant, it would open up and grow a thistle like flower. The picture to the right is an artichoke from the PB Community Garden. It has ants swarming all around it, but I have been watching this guy to catch a glimpse of this thistle flower.

Nearly 100% of US grown artichokes are grown in Monterrey County (think Castroville).

Artichokes can be made into an herbal tea (WHAT?) and is available commercially in Vietnam. Tell me someone has seen this product? (Upon further research, I learned that artichoke tea is just the water left over from boiling… sounds like broth to me. I’m just saying). Artichoke Tea Bags Link

In Ancient Greece, artichokes were thought to ensure the birth of a boy.

The “Artichoke King,” NY mafia member, Ciro Terranova (1889-1938), created an artichoke uproar when he bought crates of artichokes from California and sold them in NY for 30-40% more. He bullied people into purchasing the chokes. In 1935 the Artichoke Wars where in full swing. The Mayor of NY had to issue a ban on the sale, display and possession of artichokes. Ban only lasted a week. –Whoa, and I thought the thorns were bad….

4 comments:

  1. So what is so unique about Monterery Co. (Castroville) that so many artichokes are grown there? Hmmmm....and also, does this mean I shouldn't bother looking/hoping for local artichokes this season in WA? they are one of my favorites...with melted butter of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artichok Tea. Well after all They are the largest of the Thistle Family.If you happen to find your self in Henry's go find the section called Detox. You'll notice tea and an abundance of other product containing Milk Thistle.
    Its active ingredient called ’silymarin”, is known for its powerful liver cleansing. Numerous scientific studies have proven the beneficial effects of milk thistle to prevent liver damage and to aid those who are already suffering from liver disorders.
    You may even find a product or two containing artichoke becouse it stimulates the metabolization of the cholesterol in the liver.

    Can't Find the Tea it the store you can always make your own. Tea Tonic or juice, personaly I'll pass. Artichok tea tast like over brewed green tea didn't care for it

    The artichoke juice:
    One small glass of artichoke juice is recommended to be drunk before breakfast and lunch. It is a treatment indicated for constipated people and for those with dramatic weight enhancement. It is a draining treatment in case of constipation without however aggressing the liver.


    The artichoke tea:
    The infusion is made from one spoon of mashed artichoke leaves scalded in 500 ml of water. The tea should be left for 15-20 minutes in order to become an infusion. The former mug of tea should be drunk in the morning on an empty stomach. The latter mug is to be drunk in 2 stages, namely one half of mug before breakfast and then before dinner. The treatment is to be made in 21-30 days cures with 30 day breaks.


    The artichoke tincture:
    It is made from 20 grams of mashed artichoke leaves macerated in 100 ml of 70 degree alcohol for 15 days. 5-15 drops should be taken 3 times a day. The tincture shall be diluted with water or with tea whenever taken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we go through 12-18 cases of artichokes a week at the restaurant, and the crazy thing is that we throw out all of the outer leaves that you guys all love so much!

    jen, artichokes like the mild, damp climate of the central CA coast, which is why they thrive in monterey nearly year round (i think we had three weeks last year when chokes weren't available). but they do fine in other climates seasonally, which makes me think that you might have a shot for local chokes up there at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samin, just think about all that tea you could be making with those outer leaves. So sad....

    ReplyDelete