Thursday, June 11, 2009

Common Oregano (Origanum vulgare)

The genus name for oregano (Origanum) means “joy of the mountains,” which is appropriate since it is native to the mountainous area of Greece and the Mediterranean.  It is called wild marjoram in some parts of Europe due to its close relationship with sweet marjoram.  Mexican and Greek oregano are slightly different that common oregano and should not be substituted.

Back in Greek and Roman times, oregano was used medicinally more than for food.  Oregano tea was whipped up to treat coughs and asthma.  According to the seed packet (by Botanical Interests), bald and balding men rubbed a mixture of olive oil and oregano into their scalps in an attempt to grow back their hair.  I wonder if it worked. Oregano came into its own in the US after World War II when soldiers returned from Italy.

Antioxidant Powerhouse!

Researchers at the University of Ogden, Utah found that oregano essential oil can effectively fight streptococcus (i.e. strep throat, pneumonia, meningitis, and other bad stuff).  Studies have also shown that oregano essential oil can stop the growth of some harmful bacteria such as E. Coli and salmonella. This is really bizarre, I read that some restaurants put some drops of oregano oil in salad bars to protect them from dangerous bacteria settling into the food. --- Does anyone know a restaurant that does this?

More Traditional Medicinal Uses

Medicinal Uses Today:  Used in treatment of coughs, colds & flus, upset stomach, lady-type cramps,  and cuts & scrapes.  I don’t know why (yet), but the packet says the pregnant ladies should avoid large amounts of this herb.  Some researchers have found that oregano is more effective in treating Giardia than the commonly used prescription drug (I wanted to add a link to the study, but it is in Spanish and I cannot be certain I am finding the right thing… sorry).

I Am Growing It Too!

I planted some oregano seeds over a week ago. I planted it the normal way, meaning I made a hole and stuck the seeds in.  Well, then I read the packet and found out the oregano seeds need light to germinate.   You are just supposed gently press them into the soil.  So, I tried again and gently pressed them in.  One seed has barely sprouted.  There is green.  I have been regularly watering, which I also learned is wrong.  Oregano prefers soil that is not constantly drenched or else the oregano will be bland.  It is also companion planted with beans.  I suppose that as soon as the plant is established, I will move it in with the beans. 

1 comment:

  1. interesting about the oregano. i think mine may be getting too much water.

    ReplyDelete