Thursday, June 4, 2009

Garden Going Ons

A few pictures from my endeavors. I tried to take a picture of my back patio. It is dark but you can get an idea of my crazy (especially when you note that so many plants couldn’t make it into the shot). The follow list gives a brief update of the going ons in the eclectic container garden.
1. Dwarf Fig is looking good. Loads of new leaves and even some fruit starting up. I am considering picking all the fruit off since it is still only 1.5 years old. I am not certain that he is ready to be fruit bearing.
2. Tomatoes (Early Girl and Cherry)- I have sampled one early girl and have had several cherry tomatoes. They are delicious and I wish that more were ready to eat. The vines are looking good and strong. Loads of mini green tomatoes and loads of flowers ready to turn into juicy tomatoes.
3. Green Onions- Slow and steady. They are still looking pretty puny, but getting taller each day.
4. Contender Beans- They were quick to give a bunch of yummy green beans. They were delicious dipped in hummus. But the plants got attacked by some powdery mildew, so I chopped off all the affected leaves. Now I have stems that are still trying to grow flowers. Last Friday, Sandra and I pushed some additional seeds in the container. I am hoping I will get another crop of beans in late July.
5. Parsley, Basil, and Cilantro- Looking good. The they are still pretty tiny, but getting bushier and taller every day! I can't wait until they are big enough for daily snippings. PS- Grew them all from seeds! Nutty.
6. Chocolate Peppers & Jalapenos- These guys have peppers growing. They are still too small for picking, but I am excited.
7. Radishes and Carrots- Recently sprouted!
8. Oregano & Thyme- Still waiting for these guys to sprout. Getting pretty nervous.
9. Strawberries- There are so many berries growing out of these plants! I am trying to devise a way to put a net over them to avoid the birds eating them all (like they did a month ago!).
10. Chocolate Mint- Living large. Has made several lovely mugs of tea.
11. Lettuce- I ate two delicious heads of lettuce already and just planted new seeds. Several have sprouted. I have learned now that I really need to be constantly putting new seeds in the pot to have a more frequent supply. Now I have a little lettuce growing in a former yogurt container.
12. Luffa- Well, this guy has some rather interesting looking leaves. I think it is getting ready to have a major growth spurt. Mark my words.
13. Patty Pan Mini Squash- Actually just picked two of the squash and haven't tried it yet. I am very concerned about this plant because several of the leaves are turning yellow. Anybody have any experience with this?
14. Artichoke- Not a whole lot has happened to this plant. It got big leaves and constantly has new ones growing, while old ones die. I have struggled with some kind of burrowing pest. I keep having to cut off infected leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment